So, you’ve decided to launch a contest on Facebook. You’ve done your homework on how to run it properly.
Now, how do you get the word out?
1. Use your social media channels to spread the word to your current Fans and Followers. Announce it in big, bold exciting terms! (Side note: even if your contest takes place outside of Facebook, like through text messaging or on your website, Facebook has some expectations for how you talk about it on Facebook, so double-check the requirements before posting.)
2. Provide incentives for your loyal Fans to share it with their friends. An example would be offering an additional prize to the person who refers the grand prize winner or simply additional entries for each referral. Depending on the number of anticipated entries, this could be handled through a fill-in-the-blank line on the registration form or through an automatically generated referral link, much like the ones Groupon offers when you purchase a Groupon and share it with your friends.
3. Use Facebook ads to target your ideal customer. A Sponsored Story ad can direct your ideal client right to a specific post about your contest. Using the Friends of Connections feature shows your ad only to Friends of people who are Fans of your Page. Seeing a familiar face with your brand may get you a second look and hopefully some extra clicks!
4. If you have a brick-and-mortar location, use print media to make your customers aware. I’m talking signs, staff buttons or t-shirts, coasters, etc. Be bold and eye-catching in your branding and carry it throughout the contest. Reward current customers by giving them a promotional code printed on their receipt, cup, or product packaging to enter for an extra entry and leverage that extra entry with an option to Share their entry + bonus entry on their Walls.
5. Announce your contest to your mailing list.
6. Shine a spotlight on your contest with your website or blog.
7. Add social sharing buttons to your contest. Add buttons to give people a way to Like/Share, Pin, and Tweet your Contest to their Friends and Followers!
8. If your contest is hosted within Facebook, make sure the App Tab is in the top row on your Timeline for maximum visibility. Give it a great thumbnail and title that draws attention and practically demands a click!
9. Ask parallel partners to mention your contest to their Fans and Followers. Think about things that go together, like a restaurant and a theater for dinner and a movie or a florist and a photographer for a wedding prize. Ask an influencer in your industry to highlight your contest. Then be sure to return the favor!
10. Offer a giveaway to all registrants. If you’re launching a new product, give them a first look or a free sample. Offer an exclusive discount code for all registrants.
11. Two heads are better than one! Have registrants pair up or form teams to enter a skill-based contest, such as a trivia, treasure-hunt, photo or video contest. You’ll multiply your reach by having teams collaborate to win prizes that are suitable for a team.
Good luck! We hope your contest grows your Page and, ultimately, your Brand!Pin It